Puppy Training Camp
Start your puppy off right by investing in Puppy Training Camp at Sierra Dogs during his/her first year. We help your puppy become a good family member by teaching him/her manners, foundation behaviors (a.k.a. “obedience”), and socialization, while staying in the home of a certified trainer for three to six weeks. Your puppy’s early experiences will shape personality and behavior for life, so don’t wait! Healthy puppies as young as 12 weeks accepted. We are veterinarian recommended, have many positive reviews on Yelp, and won both Style Magazine and the Mountain Democrat Readers’ Choice for Favorite Pet Trainer; the majority of our business comes from referrals from happy clients, other trainers, and veterinarians.
Puppy Training Camp is…
- A three- to six-week training process when your puppy lives with a certified dog trainer
- Training and socialization woven into the fabric of everyday life – so your puppy learns manners and skills in real-life situations
- Positive training that rewards your puppy for good behavior – which keeps the training fun and produces long-lasting results
- An investment in your puppy’s future with a big payoff in great behavior now and for years to come
Puppy Training Camp helps with:
- Basic Manners & Cues – learning good behaviors like down, stay, come, drop it, and loose-leash walking
- Problem solving – stopping unwanted behaviors now (like puppy biting or mouthing, and jumping up on people) from becoming real problems later
- House-training & Crate training – “going” outdoors instead of in the house, and feeling comfortable home alone for short periods
- Socialization – introducing your pup to the world during a crucial developmental period (4 to 16 weeks old) that only comes once in her lifetime
Puppy Board & Train includes a full written report as well as a transfer session and a private follow-up session to ensure your puppy behaves just as well at your home as she did at ours! Interested? Step One is the Private Behavioral Consult, listed below; consult fee will be applied toward Training Camp cost.
RATES: 3 weeks: $3600 4 weeks: $4500 5 weeks: $5300 6 weeks: $6000
The longer the stay, the more we can practice & strengthen the behaviors we’re teaching in various circumstances, and the easier it will be for you to practice and maintain. The most common length of time is 4 or 5 weeks, but each Puppy Training Camp session is determined based on your specific goals and situation and will be discussed in detail with you during the initial consult.
Private Behavioral Consult
A Private Behavioral Consultation is the first step in Sierra Dogs’ training process.
- We schedule time for me to meet your puppy, assess her behavior, and discuss your training goals and challenges
- We provide a set of recommendations for how we can meet your training goals, a “training roadmap”
- This session is a prerequisite for Puppy Training Camp
RATES: Initial 90 minute consult $250 (will be subtracted from Puppy Training Camp fee if booked)
The importance of socialization
According to the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior:
- “(T)he first three months are the period when sociability outweighs fear”
- “Incomplete or improper socialization during this important time can increase the risk of behavioral problems later in life including fear, avoidance, and/or aggression”
- “(Socialization ) can go a long way to preventing behavior problems and improving bonding between humans and dogs”
Training with a Positive Touch
Sierra Dogs only uses dog-friendly, force-free, reward-based puppy training methods that:
- Emphasize positive reinforcement.
- Make training a fun, pleasant experience
- Are scientifically proven to get results
As a proud member of the Pet Professional Guild The Association for Force Free Pet Professionals, I pledge the following: “No shock, no pain, no choke, no fear, no physical force, no physical molding, no compulsion-based methods are employed to train or care for [your] pet” while in my care. To learn more about this organization and to see the full pledge, click here.
Regardless of whom you choose to train your dog or puppy, be sure to ask lots of questions, and expect clear answers with no jargon and with clearly defined terms. Here is a link to help you know what to ask any trainer: Ten Questions to Ask Your Dog Training Professional — Before You Hire Them!
If you are looking for the best puppy training in Sacramento, El Dorado Hills, Folsom, Placerville, or the surrounding areas, look no further than Sierra Dogs!